Burgtheater

Universitätsring 2, 1010 Vienna, Europe

Innenaufnahme Burgtheater

The theatre opened on 14 March 1741, after Empress Maria Theresia had instructed the impresario Selliers to lease the vacant ballroom adjacent to the Hofburg to acting troupes. In 1776 her son Joseph II named it the Teutsches Nationaltheater (German National Theatre) and placed it under the administration of the imperial court, which then also provided the financial resources. This marked the beginning of the golden age of German-language drama in Vienna. In 1794 it was renamed K.K. Hoftheater nächst der Burg (imperial theatre next to the castle). On 14 October 1888, almost 150 years after its establishment, the theatre relocated to the new building on the Ringstrasse, which had taken 14 years to build. In 1918 the administration of the former court theatre was handed over to the government.

Info

  • Box office opening hours: Mon–Fri 8am–6pm | Sat, Sun, bank holidays: 9am–noon

  • Evening box office: Opens one hour prior to each performance

  • Visitor Information Centre in the main foyer:
    Opening hours: Mon–Fri 9am–5pm, Telephone: +43 (0)1 51444 4140

Getting there

  • Getting there by public transport:
    1, 71, D Trams – get off at Rathausplatz/Burgtheater
    U3 underground – get off at Herrengasse (take the Minoritenplatz exit)

  • There is a taxi rank in front of the building

  • Parking: In the BOE underground car park at the Rathaus or in the WIPARK Garage Freyung. The area around the Burgtheater is a short-term parking zone between 9am and 10pm.

 

#burgtheaterfakt: Burgtheater, Auditorium dimensions

  • Capacity: 1,111 seats, 85 standing places, 12 wheelchair spaces

  • Forestage width: 13m

  • Forestage depth: 6m

  • Stage area width: 28.5m

  • Depth: 23m

  • Height to the gridiron: 28m

  • To the first grid deck: 12m

  • Proscenium arch width: 12m

  • Max. proscenium arch height: 9m

KLIMT In the Burgtheater

Gustav Klimt’s early work comprises a number of murals he painted together with his brother Ernst and Franz Matsch, who collectively called themselves the “Company of Artists”. These include the ceiling murals above the Burgtheater’s grand staircase, painted in 1887. Although they are historical paintings, they already hint at the symbolist phase of the Vienna Secession, which was founded around the turn of the century.  

In September 1922 a second performance venue opened its doors: the Akademietheater in Lisztstrasse. Towards the end of WWII, the Burgtheater suffered extensive damage in a bombing raid and a fire. For 10 years after that, the ensemble was forced to perform in the Etablissement Ronacher. In 1955 the building on the Ringstrasse reopened its doors after having been renovated and technically modernised.

Architecture

The Burgtheater, designed by Gottfried Semper and Karl von Hasenauer and built between 1874 and 1888, was the last of the representative buildings erected along the Ringstrasse. Its stunning façade is one of Vienna’s most prominent sights. In addition to busts of dramatists and statues of famous writers, it also features figures arranged in pairs that symbolise human emotions and characteristics and form the basis of many a drama: love and hate, humility and lust for power, heroism and egoism. And Apollo, flanked by the tragic muse Melpomene on the right and the comic muse Thalia on the left, reigns over them all.

Fullscreen
Feststiege im Burgtheater

Architektur

Das Burgtheater, errichtet von 1874 bis 1888, war das letzte Glied in der Kette der Prunkbauten zur Neugestaltung der Ringstraße. Erbaut von den beiden Architekten Gottfried Semper und Karl von Hasenauer, gehört die prachtvolle Außenfassade zu den beliebten Sehenswürdigkeiten Wiens. Dichterbüsten und berühmte Gestalten aus der Weltliteratur werden ergänzt durch Figurenpaare, die menschliche Gefühle und Eigenschaften symbolisieren und Themen vieler Dramen sind: Liebe und Hass, Demut und Herrschsucht, Heroismus und Egoismus. Über allen thront Gott Apoll mit der tragischen Muse Melpomene zur Rechten und der heiteren Muse Thalia zur Linken.

Ensemble

Das Ensemble ist die wichtigste Konstante des Theaters und die Seele des Hauses. Das Wiener Publikum liebt seine Stars und dankt es ihnen mit regelmäßigem Besuch.

Präsentiert sich das Burgtheater heute auch als Haus mit einem modernen Spielplan und zeitgerechten Strukturen, so haben sich doch viele jener Traditionen erhalten, die man mit Paula Wessely, Attila Hörbiger, Oskar Werner oder Raoul Aslan verbindet, und die dem Haus den Mythos verliehen haben, den es noch immer trägt:

Es gibt eine Doyenne und einen Doyen als oberste Schauspielerin bzw. obersten Schauspieler des Hauses – heute sind es Elisabeth Orth und Michael Heltau. Wichtige Ensemblemitglieder werden zu Ehrenmitgliedern ernannt, viele tragen den Titel Kammerschauspieler. Stirbt ein Ehrenmitglied, so wird für die Trauerfeier der Sarg auf der Feststiege aufgebahrt und anschließend in einem Trauerkondukt einmal um das Haus begleitet.

Fullscreen
Innenaufnahme Burgtheater

Ehrengalerie

Das Burgtheater besitzt weltweit eine der größten Sammlungen von Schauspielerporträts, die im Auftrag Kaiser Josephs II. begonnen und bis in die 80er Jahre des 20. Jahrhunderts weitergeführt wurde.

Nach einem Stillstand von über 20 Jahren lud Direktor Klaus Bachler 2006 sechs österreichische bildende Künstler – Christy Astuy, Ilse Haider, Elke Krystufek, Franz Graf, Josef Kern und Gregor Zivic – ein, zwölf bedeutende und dem Haus besonders verbundene Schauspieler – Andrea Clausen, Kirsten Dene, Annemarie Düringer, Gertraud Jesserer, Elisabeth Orth, Klaus Maria Brandauer, Karlheinz Hackl, Michael Heltau, Ignaz Kirchner, Branko Samarovski, Martin Schwab und Gert Voss – zu porträtieren.

Im Jahr 2008 porträtierten Lucy McKenzie, Maria Hahnenkamp, Maja Vukoje, Erwin Wurm, Franz West und Fabian Fink die Ensemblemitglieder Regina Fritsch, Maria Happel, Dorothee Hartinger, Birgit Minichmayr, Petra Morzé, Johanna Wokalek, Philipp Hauß, Philipp Hochmair, Roland Koch, Johannes Krisch, Michael Maertens und Nicholas Ofczarek.

Spielplan